FuturA RooF are accredited members of CompetentRoofer, this is a licenced Government scheme that allows professional roofing contractors to self certify that their roof refurbishment work complies with Building Regulations within England and Wales. The scheme encompassess all roofing types for domestic, industrial and commercial properties.
By using a CompetentRoofer member you will save not only time and money but will have the added reassurance that the work carried out meets the exacting standards of the Building Regulations.
Why choose a CompetentRoofer?
Regulation - CompetentRoofer members are compliant and up to date with Building Regulations
Reliability - CompetentRoofer members are professional contractors who are thoroughly audited and inspected prior to acceptance and undergo regular inspections thereafter
Reassurance - A ten year insurance back guarantee is included with notification of roof refurbishment works up to a value of £50,000 where the building height is four storeys or less.
If you use a CompetentRoofer contractor there is no need to notify Local Authority Building Control and wait for approval, therefore there will be no delays to work and no inspection fees to pay, saving both time and money!
Cheap work has hidden costs - Ensure you choose a reputable contractor
Your property is one of the most expensive and important things that you can own so risking any building work to unregistered contractors, simply because it is the cheaper option, is false economy.
- Cowboy builders can leave your roof unsafe or unfit for purpose, and put the safety of others at risk
- their work could also invalidate your building insurance
- they don’t provide warranties or insurance when things go wrong
- they can’t provide Building Regulation Compliance Certificates needed by solicitors – this could jeopardise any future sale of your property
- they won’t inform you about legal obligations – this will cost you more in the long run.
Another thing you won’t be made aware of is that you, as the property owner, are liable to pay a hefty fine for failing to notify the local council when major works are being undertaken on your property, including roof refurbishment work. Building Control requires notification of any roofing refurbishment work which involves over 50% of the roof being repaired or refurbished; this is separate from planning permission.
You need to either notify your roof refurbishment work via your local council or you can register it via CompetentRoofer, a Government-licenced Competent Person Scheme that allows roofers to self-certify their own work, meaning: -
- we notify the council when the work is completed
- you have the added reassurance that the contractor has already been vetted prior to becoming a member and will continue to have their work checked
- you will receive a ten year warranty for works under £50,000 in value where the building is less than four storeys in height from Competent Roofer this is in addition to the company guarantee **
** Depending on the product used the company guarantees can be up to 25 years, which give you extra peace of mind.
What if I fail to comply with Building Regulations
- It is a legal requirement to comply with Building Regulations.
- If you do not comply you are at risk of prosecution and could face a fine of up to £5,000.
- If the work carried out on your roof does not comply with Building Regulations your home may be unsafe.
- If you have not notified LABC or used a CompetentRoofer you will not receive a Building Regulations Completion Certificate and you may have difficulties if you try to sell your home